Listen up.

Listen up.

Sunday 27 February 2022

FOR ROBERT AGAIN

I'm reading James Joyce's Ulysses again and in the first chapter there's an excerpt
from Oliver St. John Gogarty's poem that Joyce slightly adapted and changed the title:

"The Ballad of Joking Jesus" 

I'm the queerest young fellow that ever was heard.
My mother's a Jew; my father's a Bird
With Joseph the Joiner I cannot agree
So 'Here's to Disciples and Calvary.
'If anyone thinks that I amn't divine,
He gets no free drinks when I'm making the wine
But have to drink water and wish it were plain
That I make when the wine becomes water again.


For the full poem The Song of the Cheerful (but slightly Sarcastic) Jesus by Oliver St. John Gogarty you can look it up on the internet.

Oliver St. John Gogarty


Robert The Most Unchristian Catholic recently uses quotes from long dead authors, mystics and assorted nutters to preface his blog posts. I think he could do no worse by reading anything by James Joyce and copying and pasting some of the funny and irreverent things that he says.

If that's not appropriate he can at least just read the rude bits.

'Ulysses'


2 comments:

  1. I'm the kindest young fellow that ever was heard.
    My mother's a Jew; my father's of David
    With Joseph the Joiner I spent most my life
    So 'Here's to Disciples and St Faustina.
    'If anyone thinks that I amn't divine,
    He gets no communion that is so divine
    But has to drink water again and again
    And live a life amongst the lost and profane.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice try son but I prefer the original.*







    It won't be the first time that a Catholic has tried to change or suppress something that's been said, written, painted etc about the Catholic Church.
    Just ask Martin Luther, Gallileo, Leonardo da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Simone de Beauvoir, Nicolas Malebranche, Jean-Paul Sartre, Michel de Montaigne, Voltaire, Denis Diderot, Victor Hugo, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, André Gide, Nikos Kazantzakis, Emanuel Swedenborg, Baruch Spinoza, Desiderius Erasmus, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, René Descartes, Francis Bacon, Thomas Browne, John Milton, John Locke, Nicolaus Copernicus, Galileo Galilei, Blaise Pascal, and Hugo Grotius Anne Askew,[55] Olympia Fulvia Morata, Ursula of Munsterberg, Veronica Franco, and Paola Antonia Negri, Charles Darwin, Richard Prowse, The Monty Python crew and many others.

    ReplyDelete

THE MORE OBSCURE CATHOLIC SAINTS - PART FIVE

I know that some readers think that I make these saints up but, believe me, sometimes fact is much stranger than fiction. Take St. Joseph of...