Listen up.

Listen up.

Saturday 12 August 2023

UNUSUAL CHRISTIAN PRACTICES #1

 Robert said something unusual in a comment on the Curmudgeon's latest post:


Look, I know that it's not unusual for Robert to say something unusual but it did get me thinking about the unusual things that Christians say or do or have in their little notebook of beliefs.

I thought that you'd like a new post series on this.

First up is one that has intrigued me for many years - Martin Luther's Diet of Worms.


From images I've seen on the web, old Martin was a bit porky so his wife, his mistress or some random nun might have suggested he shape up a bit.



I don't know why he chose worms to eat though so checked up on this.


It seems that the jury is still out on this so I can't see it becoming a fad any day soon. Back in Martin Luther's day though there probably wasn't a lot of information on dieting given that most people didn't have enough food to eat anyway.

It'd be nice to think that his diet of worms worked out well for him but this Cranach portrait of Luther on his deathbed shows him to be still a bit on the 'Rubenesque' side.




Then again, it might have been the worms that did him in.


I hope that this has been informative. Let me know so that more in this series can be planned.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, I've often wondered if I should eat worms.




    NOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the endorsement.
      I take it that you want more posts in this series.

      Delete

THE MORE OBSCURE CATHOLIC SAINTS - PART FIVE

I know that some readers think that I make these saints up but, believe me, sometimes fact is much stranger than fiction. Take St. Joseph of...